This gable stone is found in a blind wall at the Begijnhof (Beguinage) — one of Amsterdam’s oldest courtyards
It used to adorn a house at Elandsstraat.
The plague depicts Jesus, after his resurrection, joining two confused disciples on the road to Emmaus. Read the story in Luke 24.
The stone was sculpted after an engraving by Petrus Feddes van Harlingen (1586 – ca. 1634), who in turn had copied Flemish printmaker Claes Janszoon Visscher.
Together with seven other stones the plaque was placed at Begijnhof in 1961, and restored in 2008.
Gable stones were used in the 16th century, in the days before house numbers. There are some 2500 throughout the Netherlands; 850 of which in Amsterdam.
© Photo by Anton Hein. All rights reserved.